Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The "Situation"

There is something that I have been avoiding telling all of you.

For no reason other than I don't want to have to answer any questions about it.

I am online dating again.

I really struggle between the two arguments of dating:

1. You'll find someone when you aren't looking.

b. You have to put yourself out there.

Honestly, I think that it is all bullshit. I think you just have to do what feels right and live life. So that's what I'm doing.

I signed back up for eHarmony and signed away my first born child. (Seriously, this shit doesn't come cheap.)

And with Match's words in mind, You have to stop finding reasons to not date people, I started this crazy process.

There have been some bumps along the way, some shady characters, some far-reaches, and one person I refused to answer based solely on his picture. Motorcycles and bathrooms selfies I may let slip by, but if the only picture you have posted is an animation of the Archangel Michael, I'm out!

I've tried to go into this with the realization that not everyone is going to like me, but that is ok because I'm not going to like everyone. 

With all that being said, let's get to the situation.

A couple of weeks ago, a gentleman from Tucson initiated communication. I wasn't thrilled with the fact that he lived in Tucson, but hearing Match's voice in my ear made me respond. 

So we made it through to the open communication stage and sent a few emails back and forth.

Nothing earth-shattering, but nothing that made me want to hide my profile and block him from every communicating again.

Then he sends a message and at the end of it says, "There's something that I've been wanting to ask you: I am enjoying communicating with you, but obviously there is some distance between us. What are your thoughts on this?"

I respond that while I don't think the distance is ideal, I also don't think it is an insurmountable issue.

A couple of days later he emails back that he thinks it is too early to decide either way and he will be in Phoenix visiting a friend over the weekend and would I like to get coffee.

I agree to coffee. We meet for coffee. Things go fine.

Again, nothing earth-shattering, but we have a nice conversation. He's pretty nerdy and a little awkward, but I'm used to this so I roll with it.

Then it's time to say goodbye and it just kind of ends. A couple of "nice to meet yous," but no plans for future meetings or follow-up.

I assume we won't talk again. I wasn't really motivated by our meeting or previous communication to reach out, and I figured he felt the same.

So you can imagine my surprise when I get a text out of the blue a couple of days later. 

Again, I would like to reiterate that since I walked away from him at the coffee shop I have not tried to communicate with him. I have not viewed his profile online. I have not sent a text. I have not emailed. 

Him: Hey. It was nice meeting you this weekend. Have you given any thought to our situation?

Wait, what? You guys, we honestly didn't even talk about the "situation" while having coffee. No mention of the distance. No discussion of thinking about it. I mean, we were on a first date at coffee, for the love of Pete.

But again, I'm trying to be open-minded and let things work out the way they should so I respond.

Me: It was nice meeting you as well. I guess for me the distance doesn't seem insurmountable - I wouldn't say that I often travel between the two cities now, but I have in the past. What do you think?

Him: Honestly the distance for me was kind of rough. It just seems like it would be a lot of traveling for both of us and that wouldn't be fair to either one of us. I would prefer to stay in Tucson.

So why are we having this conversation? I didn't ask you to leave Tucson on a permanent basis. I didn't even ask you to leave Tucson to have coffee with me.

I don't understand. 

One friend told me that it sounded like he was breaking up with me.

I told him, "In that case, I'm going to respond, 'I don't think this is going anywhere. We should probably break up.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment