Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 1 - Malama Kamehameha

Day 1 of our trip started out nothing less than adventurous. Our flight was scheduled to leave Phoenix at 6:00 am, so we woke up at the crack of dawn and planned to arrived at the airport no later than 5. Most of you know that I am a FREAK about schedules, I hate being late, and I'm obessessed with travel plans. Also, most of you know my family. So, it will come as no surprise to you that things didn't go as planned. In fact, when we arrived in Phoenix to check our bags we were so late that they weren't even going to let us on the plane. Fortunately, our bags got checked and we arrived at the gate just as they were boarding the plane. Much to our surprise and delight our bags got to Hawaii with us.

The flights were pretty uneventful and we landed in Hawaii around 11:30. PapaBear went to get the car while the rest of us gathered the luggage. I have long held the belief that there should be an age limit on tube top wearing, and while waiting for PapaBear to return, a perfect example of that pulled up:



Later in the day, we were driving to the north part of the island, when we encountered some road construction. Seemed normal until we saw the sign that said, "Seismic Retrofit in Progress." I'm not sure, but seismic retrofit does not sound pleasant to me. That actually sounds like a euphamism for earthquake.

One of our first tourist stops on the island was at the original statue of King Kamehameha. While there, the town drunk stopped to talk to my dad. He was full of interesting information. For example, the statue is the actual size of the king. And according to Match.mom, he wears a yellow thong...

I apologize that this last story can not be printed in it's entirety, but if you want to hear it in full, you can call me and I'll tell you... But suffice it to say that Malama does not mean "kill."

No comments:

Post a Comment