Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Writing and CrossFit

The other day I was reading some Q&A from one of my favorite bloggers and authors. Someone asked her what the best way to become a writer is. She answered, "write for yourself." Among other things.

But most importantly she said, "write for yourself." Don't worry about what other people want to read. Don't worry about whether or not they will be entertained by your writing. Write what you feel.

One of the girls I work with was telling me that I should write a book. I was complaining that I didn't know how to start or where to go with it.

She said that she always hears that writers just sit down and write what is in their head and worry about organizing and refining later.

Perhaps I'll try that.

###

I was going to go a different direction with the second part of this blog, but I just got a text message from a girl that I CrossFit with and it changed my line of thinking.

I believe that I have told you before about people who tell me things that they "never tell anyone." 

Another phenomenon is that people want to hang out with me. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I don't understand it.

When I moved up to the CrossFit class, there wasn't a 5am class that existed. Three of us who were moving up couldn't do a later class so they started the 5am class. From that point on, people have come and gone, but we have a pretty steady group of regulars that I have grown to know and love so early in the morning.

There are two ladies in particular that I see on a fairly regular basis. A couple of months ago there was a new girl in our class and one of my friends asked what her name was. I said that I didn't know, I have to see you commit to 5am before I can put any early morning effort into meeting you.

She said that she remembered starting 5am and being scared of me. 

Tonight - she texted me, "Don't tell anyone, but I think I may be pregnant."

Wait, what?!?!

I'm the person you tell that you think you are pregnant? How did that happen?

Two weeks ago, the other lady was getting ready to go on vacation to San Diego with her husband, who also comes to 5am class. Earlier in the week she was telling me that she was sad because normally their children go with them to SD, but this year it was just her and her husband. So on the last day of CrossFit before she left, we were walking to our cars together and she said, "Hey - if you have free time next week, come to San Diego and see us. We have space in the house we rented."

I don't even know how to respond to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment