Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Deep In The Heart of Texas


I can't believe it is already Thursday. I think the full moon threw my world off of its axis this week.

Seriously, since I got back from Texas, I have not been able to pull it together.

That is why it has taken me this long to write this post.

As you can see in the picture above, I headed to Texas this past weekend to attend a wedding as DVL's hot date. (Can you think of a better person to fill this role?)

I arrived at the airport on Friday morning in time for my 7:00am flight. Boarded the plane, taxied to the runway, and sat... Something about a computer issue, and we had to return to the gate, where we were deplaned and made aware of a three-hour delay. Not a great start.

So I had a cocktail and prayed.

Luckily we took off a little ahead of the delayed schedule and DVL picked me up in just enough time to get back to the hotel, change our clothes, and head to rehearsal. 

From there, rehearsal dinner. From there, North Texas State Fair and the Josh Abbott Band Concert.

One of the things that I love the most about DVL is that we have very similar opinions about most things. Fashion included. Which makes people watching with him excellent. And what better place to people watch than a state fair in Texas?!?!

We spent the evening drinking beer and judging questionable fashion choices. I will admit that I was a little disappointed by the lack of "big Texas hair," but there was plenty to keep me busy. Including a girl chewing tobacco and one smoking a Swisher Sweet.

Saturday was pretty chill until we realized at noon that we had to be at the wedding location at 2:00pm and that we still needed to get lunch and get ready for the wedding.

But clearly, we managed.

The wedding was beautiful and the couple was gorgeous. We got to the reception and realized that somehow, we were seated on the kids side of the table. Which was pretty ironic because I don't know two people who dislike other people's children more than DVL and me. We ate quickly and stole other people's chairs on the other side of our table to enjoy the remainder of the reception.

Some of my favorite parts of the reception:

- During the slideshow, there was a picture of the bride and her sister and they had some pretty crazy eye shadow on and DVL said, out loud, "Yikes!" The bride looked over at him and smiled, and I told him he should probably just think those things next time.

- While the band was on a break, the DJ was playing some "booty music" and a couple of bridesmaids and I were dancing, when one of the girls went and got the videographer and started shaking her butt in front of the camera and saying, "Just like TRL!" DVL's former intern was also there and she, at 22 years old, said, "What's TRL?"

- Towards the end of the reception, I was sitting in a chair next to the intern, watching DVL dance with the bride when a woman walked past everyone else and right up to me and said, "I just wanted to come over and say hi. It was so great to see you. How are you?" I said, "Hi. I'm good. Good to see you too." Then she walked away. The intern looked at me and asked, "How do you know her?" I had to admit, I had never seen her before.

- When the wedding was over, everyone went outside to wish farewell to the bride and groom. We were standing on the steps of the venue figuring out what we were going to do next and DVL had walked inside to get his tux jacket and I was standing there with one of his other friends from DC. One of the girls at the wedding, who I had deduced was from DC earlier in the night was saying goodbye to the other gentleman and then she turned to me and said, "Bye. See you back home." Ummm, I don't think you will. Unless you have moved to Arizona.

- Finally, I had to go inside to get the intern so we could go to the bar and as I was leaving I ran into the bride's sister and brother-in-law (who I had met only the day before). They went on and on about how great it was to meet me and then practically begged me to come back and visit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment