Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

The Open Is Upon Us

The CrossFit Games season has officially started.

On Wednesday evening, the first workout of the 2013 CrossFit Open was announced. You may remember that I signed up for the Open last year. I had not yet moved up into the official CrossFit class at my gym, but they told me that they programmed the workouts so that nearly anyone could do them.

And I did. Well, I at least recorded reps in every workout. In the third workout I couldn't do the toes-to-bar and in the final workout I couldn't do the chest-to-bar pull-ups, but I finished the movements before those and recorded that score.

I truly struggled with whether or not I would sign up this year. I will be in DC all of next week so I will have to do the workout at a gym where I know no one. And I still can't do toes-to-bar or chest-to-bar pull-ups. I don't know if those will be part of a workout, but I can imagine they will be.

The first workout was announced on Wednesday, and it was a combination of the first two last year.


Last year I got 60 burpees in 7 minutes and 60 snatches in 10 minutes (at those first two weights). This year, I completed 124 reps - that's an improvement of 4 reps. Not great, but at least an improvement! Those burpees killed me.

I follow a lot of people on social media sites who are into CrossFit and doing these workouts and some did more, and some did less than me. But for me, I need to keep reminding myself that I am only competing against myself at this point. 

My goal is to be better than I was, and I think I am accomplishing that.


No comments:

Post a Comment