Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Adventures in Dining...

Yesterday morning I went to Wildflower Bread Company to take advantage of their free wireless and enjoy a nice cup of coffee. So I'm sitting there, quietly minding my own business when "The Hulk*" approaches me. The following conversation ensues:

The Hulk: Excuse me, do you know how I can send an email?
Me: (Is he kidding me?) Well, you'll need to open an Internet explorer and sign in and that will get you on the Internet.
The Hulk: (Actually now almost sitting in my booth) Yeah, I got on the Internet, but I don't know how to send an email.
Me: I'm not sure I know how to help you.

He stood there for another 30 seconds looking at my computer screen, which I'm sure wasn't that interesting. Then he took his Coke and his too tight tank-top and headed back to his own seat. Seriously, do I look like the IT Department? What about me says, "computer nerd"? (To be fair, IT Girl doesn't look like a computer nerd either. Of course, I wouldn't approach her in a coffee shop to learn how to send an email.)

The bonus of this particular trip to Wildflower was that it was overflowing with very good looking fighter pilots. I was in heaven!

So today, I head into town for a lunch meeting. I arrive at the restaurant at the agreed upon time and get a table. It takes a while for the waiter to come to my table, but he finally comes and takes my drink order. After fifteen minutes of the other people not showing up, the waiter comes over and says, "Ok, if they don't show up, I'll sit down and have lunch with you." Turns out there was some miscommunication and the other people aren't going to make it to the meeting. So I decide to order. After I place my order, he comes back over and asks me what my meeting was for. So I explain it to him, no big deal. He starts to tell me about his private high school experience in Cleveland. (It was a really strange connection to my actual explanation, but whatever.) Once I finish eating my lunch he comes back over and we have the following conversation:

Waiter: I'm a drug rep on the side and it's always fun to joke with the doctors like that.
Me: Yeah?
Waiter: Yeah, doctors hate drug reps because most of them don't know what they are talking about, but I have a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology, so I understand what they are talking about.
Me: Wow.
Waiter: I'm actually working on my fourth degree right now. I'm at Thunderbird School of International Management.
Me: Very cool.

Really?? Do I look like I want to know your life story? What about my side of this conversation makes you think I was interested in what you were saying?

Perhaps I should stop dining alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment