Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm Very Angry

*Please excuse any typos, I will edit them later - this iPad is tough to type on.*

It is apparently your lucky day because you get two posts today!

Unfortunately, this second post comes because I am very angry.

I was very angry with him. It cost me ten thousand dollars in therapy to say that sentence.

(Name that movie.)

To start off today I did not want to get out of bed. For some reason this week is wearing me out and I'm still super sore from Monday's million walking lunges.

So when my alarm went off at 4:05 am (which gives me enough time to push snooze once, get ready, pack my lunch, and get out of the house in time to make it to the gym) I was not thrilled about getting up.

Especially because I looked up the workout last night to find that it was Tabata and I was not looking forward to 8 rounds each of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, and squats - each round with 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. Results are posted as total reps for all exercises.

Now, let me back up a bit - I can not recall telling you all about my frustrations with posting at the gym (and I'm on the iPad so going back and forth is more difficult), so I'm going to give you a quick refresher.

I hate it when people lie about their time or reps at the gym. A couple of weeks ago I had this discussion with one of the girls in my regular classes at the gym in response to a girl posting inaccurate results on the gym website. It was good to know someone else got as angry as I did.

So last week one of our workouts was a 350 meter row followed immediately by max rep push-ups. Our coach allows some of the newer people to do their push-ups on their knees (girl-style if you will), but if you have been there for a while and can do a good standard push-up she moves you to those.

Let's be honest, you will never get better if you keep modifying your workout. So it is to your benefit to sacrifice a few reps in order to build strength. But that is neither here nor there.

During that workout there were two women specifically who my friend and I thought should be doing standard push-ups. They have been in the gym at least as long as we have and they are posting better times/higher reps because they are doing modified workouts.

This morning as I was warming up I mentioned to the coach that she should make McDonalds* do regular push-ups. And she did.

So as we get moving in the workout, she is on the pull-up bar next to me and I am moving at a faster pace than she is. After the second round she asks me where I'm at. I tell her.

We finish pull-ups and move to push-ups. I am not doing great at push-ups, but I am doing more than she is. Next up: sit-ups. She may have been doing the same pace as I was in this exercise. Finally, we get to squats. Not only am I doing probably 2.5 to every 1 of hers, I am going deep into a full squat and she definitely is not. So the time is finally up and I decide that I am going to wait and let her post her results on the board before I do. I don't want her to see my number and modify based on it so I kind of hang back, get a drink of water, put up my ab mat, etc. I notice she is also lingering, but I refuse to back down. So my friend posts her number and it is 262 - pretty good considering that she did kipping pull-ups and the rest of us were only doing jumping pull-ups. She walks up to me and my back is to the board and I tell her what I'm waiting for. Then McDonalds posts her number and my friend almost passes out. She posted 323. I did 295.

I am telling you for sure and certain that there is NO WAY she beat me.

NO.WAY! period. exclamation point. ex.clamation.point.

I know that on some level I shouldn't let what others are doing bother me. It doesn't change how hard I've worked. But it is on the board for everyone to see for the rest of the week and I don't want them to think that I did poorly on the workout or that I didn't work my hardest.

So the moral of the story is don't lie and don't cheat. Or I will be angry with you.

And trust me - you don't want that to happen.

Just ask Diddy.

1 comment:

  1. Why can I hear the quote from the movie but not place it?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete