Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chivalry Is Not Dead

Last week, I was at a dinner with the Arizona Cattle Growers Association and I ran into a gentleman that I have a met a few times before.

In the past, we have probably given each other a hard time a little, but he is a super nice guy.

So he ends up sitting with my family at the dinner and when I went to sit down, he moved my chair out for me. 

I didn't really think anything of it. 

When dinner was over, everyone got up and was milling around and socializing and generally enjoying the company.

Match and Papa were getting ready to leave and he went over to say goodbye to them. I was not near them, but I noticed that he took his hat off and gave Match a hug goodbye.

A couple of minutes later he came up to me and we were talking about Match, he asked me again what her name was and I told him. Then he said, "I won't call her that."

Me: What will you call her?
Him: Mrs. A
Me: I'm sure she would prefer that you call her Match.
Him: I'm sorry, I wasn't raised that way. Until she tells me otherwise, I will address her as Mrs. A.

I may have melted a little.

Flash forward another half hour or so and we are walking out at the same time. He gives me a hug and then asks where my car was parked. I pointed in the general direction and he said, "I'll walk you over there."

And then he put his arm out for me to put mine through and I melted a little bit more.

As we walked to the car we chatted and when we got there and I unlocked the door, he opened my car door for me.

And I became a puddle on the ground. 

Seriously, I never really think about men being chivalrous, I don't really expect that kind of behavior. But having it bestowed upon me made me realize how incredibly nice it is.

Chivalry is not dead, it is living on a ranch in the middle of nowhere Arizona, and it is pretty great.

1 comment: