Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Not You. It's Everyone.

I had lunch with Granny B yesterday.

As we were driving out of her neighborhood I told her that the guy at the guard gate told me to tell her hello, but I didn't get his name.

She said, "Did he go on and on telling you how great I am?"

I responded that he did.

She said, "Oh, I know who you're talking about. In my experience all of the nice ones like that are married. Only the jerks are single."

Then she goes on to tell me the following story.

There's a guy I play bridge with and right before Christmas he walked me out to my car after bridge. And he said, 'Oh, you have a handicap?' And I lied a little. I said that it was my late husband's, but that I wasn't giving it up. He said he didn't blame me. Then the next week, I walked into bridge and he was sitting in the corner smiling at me and I just ignored him. I'm not looking for any friendships. I'm in heaven all by myself. You know what I mean? So after, I went up and apologized to him for not smiling back. I just told him, 'I'm not interested getting involved in anything. It's not you, it's everyone. I mean, I don't mind when Neil teases me. Or Bob. Oh, that Neil he teases me all the time.

1 comment:

  1. she's a man eater... love that "it's not you, it's everyone"

    ReplyDelete