Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Quest to be a Grown-Up

The other day I was talking to one of my sorority sisters - we only chat every six months or so, but it's always like we talked just yesterday. She has an 11-month-old boy and she is overwhelmed. She teaches high school French and recently ran the Marine Corps Marathon. 

We got to talking about college because they are bringing our sorority back to our alma mater and there are a group of us who would be willing to head down there to help out in getting it all set up again.

Either way, we were both lamenting this grown up life. Obviously for different reasons. Having both graduated in four years from college, we decided that we were just too excited to get into this daily grind...

This year I am really trying to make my house look like an adult lives in it. That sounds so silly, because it certainly doesn't look like children live there, but I haven't really focused on decorations and the such. 

I moved in seven years ago. I was 24 years old and had just bought a house. There really wasn't money for decorating. Heck - there wasn't money for furniture and that's the reason that there is a mish-mash of it all over my house. It works for me, and I don't think it looks horrible. 

If you do, you can keep that opinion to yourself. :)

(That may be there first time I've ever typed a smiley face into a blog post.)

So, with my mish-mash of furniture, I am on the quest to decorate. And slowly but surely it is all coming together.

My goal is to do one thing a month, because it can get pretty darn expensive!

This month, it is curtains in the living room. And hopefully after a Super Saturday of Fun with Match and Papa, those curtains will be hanging up beautifully and I can move on to my next goal - a giant picture next to the sliding glass door.

A couple of weeks ago, Match and I made the rounds at all of the stores you would think to buy curtains with no luck. You see, my sliding glass door is apparently giant and curtains are difficult to find in the correct sizes. So then we spent the better part of an hour scanning the internet before we finally found what we believe will be acceptable window coverings.

They came in last week, so on Sunday I began my quest for a curtain rod. I started at Target to no avail - back to that giant window...

A little disheartened, I decided that I would stop at Lowe's on the way home and if I didn't have any luck there, I would go back to scanning the internet.

So I'm standing in the curtain rod aisle of Lowe's, perusing my options when the gentleman who works there asks if I need any help.

I tell him that I am trying to find a curtain rod, but I'm totally overwhelmed with the decision because it is going to be in the main room of my house and everyone will see it and I don't know what I like and, and, and...

He looks at me and like the most fabulously gay friend ever, says, "Well, you look like you have great style, so I think you should just go with what you like."

1 comment:

  1. I need to make my house live like adults live here too. And, I do have a child running around so it's that much harder of a distinction. It's been two years and yep for mismatched furniture and no curtains. sigh.

    ReplyDelete