Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Color Me Impressive

CrossFit Regionals officially began this past Friday. Strangely enough, the Southern California regionals were held at the Del Mar Fairground, and I was not too far away from there for a short little vacation.

I actually thought about cruising down to the fairgrounds just to walk around to the booths outside the venue to pick up some Paleo treats, but alas, I did not.

Yes, I do realize I am crazy.

So anyway, regionals means that for the next couple of weekends I will spend more time than usual in front of my computer watching a live feed of athletes doing things that I only wish I could do.

Case in point:


I dream about climbing a rope like Lindsey Valenzuela.

Either way, watching these athletes makes me realize that there are about a million things that I can't do in the CrossFit world.

As if he read my  mind, this morning, during our warm-up my coach made me feel a lot better about myself.

We were warming up our shoulders for overhead squats with handstand holds and strict handstand push-ups to whatever depth we could do.

Mine are pretty shallow, but I can get a little bend in my elbows.

When everyone was standing back up after the warm-up, the coach said, "You may not be the best at those. You may not be Rich Froning or Annie Thorisdottir, but 99% of the people in the world would be very impressed by what you just did there."

I know I talk a lot about remembering where I started, but it is too easy to lose sight of that. 

Not just in CrossFit, but in everything we put any effort into, we need to remember that progress is progress. Sometimes baby steps are the best steps we can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment