Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sad News

I try not to get too serious on here too often, but in light of yesterday's post and some information that I received today, I just had to post this.

First of all, a very good friend of mine revealed to me recently that she and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for a number of years with no success. In the past 12 months, they have seen numerous doctors and taken countless tests. They still have no answers.

There hasn't been a result that points to a reason they haven't been able to conceive. There are no obvious reasons for their troubles. So they remain frustrated, but hopeful.

A few weeks ago, a sorority sister of mine posted on Facebook that she and her husband were very excited to announce that they were expecting twins (a boy and a girl) some time this summer. From her post, I gathered that they had difficulty getting pregnant and were elated that they were going to start their family.

On Mother's Day, she posted that she had gone into labor early with the twins and the boy didn't make it. His sister was still fighting though, and she asked for prayers. I immediately said a prayer and contacted another sorority sister to make sure she had seen the post.

Today, the sister that I had alerted texted me that they had lost their little girl. On Mother's Day she had taken a turn for the worse and it was apparent that she was not going to recover, so they had to make the decision to take her off of the ventilator.

This is a faithful couple and I am certain that they said many prayers in the time leading up to making their decision, but I just can not wrap my brain around what they must be feeling right now.

In addition, Tela, who is a teacher at a valley high school, posted that they had tragically lost a student from their high school over the weekend. A 17-year-old boy was killed when he fell out of the back of a truck while playing a silly game with friends.

I am certain that the rewards of being a parent far outweigh the risks of losing a child at any point in your life, but I am admittedly scared.

There is so much out of our control.

The world is a scary place. And it's getting scarier.

Nothing is promised.

And all too often I take too much for granted.

I need to be better about expressing my feelings.

About making sure that my loved ones know how I feel.

Tomorrow is not promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment