Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

I Had a Breakthrough. A Breakdown? No, a Breakthrough.

**I started this post a couple of weeks ago and didn't get very far. It was a hard post to write, but in light of recent happenings, it is at the front of my mind again. So here it is - old and new meshed together in one.**

Sometimes I think I live my life in movie quotes.

Seriously, if you say something that even remotely resembles a quote from a movie that I have watched, I can't help but start speaking in movie lines.

Often times, my work bestie seems to be the only one who understands what I'm talking about, but I can't stop.

It occurred to me recently that people may be taking advantage of my friendship. That while I may seem to have a tough exterior, I am actually pretty sensitive and I do have feelings.

I probably talk about my feelings more than most people, but the truth is, it's usually the positive feelings that I talk about. When I hurt, I tend to keep it inside.

Healthy? Probably not.

Reality? Absolutely.

So, I had a breakthrough - slowly eliminate the people from my life who do not appreciate me. 

Those people who only want to be my friend when it is convenient for them.

Those people who seem to take more than they give. 

Ultimately, think about me first.

Make sure that the relationships that I have are serving me too. 

Sounds easy.

It's not.

Once again, I'm not as tough as I appear. I don't like to hurt people. I don't like to be mad at people. I don't like to lose friends.

But at what point is enough enough? When do you decide that the joy you get from a person isn't worth the hurt you get from them?




No comments:

Post a Comment