Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

As Soon as You Tell Me I Can't Have Something, It's All I Can Think About...

I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up a few things to make dinner for Match and Papa. The grocery store is a Fry's Marketplace so in addition to groceries, it has household stuff like furniture as well as a garden section. Out by the garden section there are a number of patio tables and chairs set up.

At one of the tables were three couples. If I had to guess, I would say they lived in the nearby age-restricted community. So they came to the grocery store, bought some coffee at the kiosk and walked over to the garden section to enjoy it.

That's the life.

My grandpa, H, has diabetes. But he's not your typical diabetic, he is active. Always working outside and building something. He checks his blood sugar and regulates it pretty well, but he still enjoys the occasional baked good (who doesn't, right?).

Sometimes when I go to this same grocery store, I will find him sitting on the couches next to the coffee shop, eating a donut and watching Fox News. Then he will get up and walk around the store, finding good deals and buying enough to share with his children that live nearby.

From there he will head home and prepare the food before driving around from house to house, delivering the food.

And let me tell you, he can cook!

A couple of years ago, Diddy was on Fox News to talk about border security and H saw it. He was so proud of Diddy that wanted to get him a gift. So he bought him meat, cheese, red wine, and french bread. But he had to drive all the way to Bashas', which is in the next city over, because that's where they make the good bread.

For some crazy reason, I signed up for a 30-day Sugar Detox with some girls at the gym. I don't really eat much sugar on a regular basis, but on this particular detox you can't have any fruit, dairy, or alcohol either. 

Again, not really things I consume on a regular basis, but the minute I'm not allowed to have them, they are everywhere! Tomorrow marks one full week we've been doing it. The penalty for cheating is 75 burpees and since I've told you all how I feel about burpees you can imagine that I will not be cheating! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you crazy woman! Good for you!

    LOVED hearing about your Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete