Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm Going to Give That Murphy Guy a Piece of My Mind

My nephews (and sister and brother-in-law) came home from their 10-day vacation on Saturday night.

Being away from my babies for that long had caused a serious case of withdrawals, so I was hoping that Sissy and the boys would make the trek out to Match's house on Sunday to see all of us. 

No such luck.

Match called me Sunday morning to tell me that she and PapaBear would be heading to M-Town around 10 am to have lunch at Sissy's house and did I want to ride with them.

As I may have mentioned before, I like to spend Sundays getting ready for Mondays (which is one of the main reasons I think weekends should be three days long, but whatever), and that usually entails laundry, grocery shopping, and cooking.

I may have also mentioned somewhere in the past that when you go to Sissy's or run errands with her - you get sucked into a strange black-hole-type time-warp and before you know it, seven days have passed and you haven't gotten anything done.

(Ok, maybe not seven days, but you get the picture.)

So I was a little stressed out about what time we would return back to our side of the valley. Match promised me that I could take SuperFan's truck and leave whenever I wanted.

The time came for me to leave and SuperFan decided that she would come with me in her truck. So I made her drive - totally reasonable, right?

We headed into Phoenix and started running my errands - Bed, Bath & Beyond and Sprouts - and were headed home when SuperFan decided that she wanted to stop at Old Navy real quick.

I was going to stay in the car while she ran in, so she parked the truck, got out, closed the door, then opened the door and got back in.

"I ran over a bolt and my tire is leaking air. If we don't go home now, we won't make it."

Ok, so she started driving and I called AAA, we thought we were so smart.

I'm telling the lady that we are at Match's house and need a tired changed and SuperFan is driving as reasonably as she can to make it home before the tire goes completely flat.

I hung up with the lady and all of the sudden we hear this weird noise. Like metal hitting metal. And we look at each other.

Then, the tire was flat.

We barely made it to the shoulder.

Of course, there is road construction going on so the shoulder is not big, and we're about as close to the line as possible without going over.

So SuperFan calls AAA back to tell them that we've had a location change.

The lady asks if we need Highway Patrol to come and we agree that it would be best considering our proximity to the cars going between 65 and 75 miles per hour next to us. Then she tells us they would be on their way and the tow truck would be there within the hour.

Then we wait. Of course, because I have million things to do and vegetables in the car, we had to get a flat tire and wait an hour for the tow truck to come save us.

While we were waiting these very nice young gentlemen stopped to see if we needed help. We assured them that help was indeed on the way and thanked them profusely - commenting on how there are still good people in the world.

Then while we were waiting for the Highway Patrol officer to arrive, another guy stopped. Only he didn't really want to take no for an answer. He was seriously trying to talk us into letting him change our tire, which was on the side of the truck next to the high-speed vehicles.

We were getting a little freaked out when the police officer finally arrived.

He pulled up behind us and then came over to my side of the truck to talk. We had matching sunglasses, only in different colors. And now I want them in his color too...

Mine are on the left, his on the right - find them online here

So he tells us that we need to move the truck so that when the tow truck comes, he can change the tire without shutting down the lanes of traffic.

We were a little skeptical, seeing as how the tire had absolutely no air left in it and we didn't want to bend the rim, but he said he thought we'd be fine so we trusted him. We were only about 100 feet from the off-ramp and we figured that we would just get to the part where there was enough dirt shoulder to pull over.

So that's what we did.

Our police officer friend left, and the tow truck arrived.




It didn't take long before the bad tire was off, the new tire was on, and we were on our way.

All in all, it was about an hour and all of my vegetables survived in the air conditioned truck. I even got home in enough time to prepare two different dishes for lunches and dinners for the week. So all was not lost.

But I'm telling you what, that SuperFan really knows how to flatten a tire. I don't think they're going to be able to repair that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment