Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

We're Going Camping In The Woods!

When I originally typed the title of this post it made me think of the Strawberry Shortcake movie with the camping trip.

So I had to take a break before writing this and rub a little google on "Strawberry Shortcake Camping Movie."

And I found it!

And then it made me want to go rent all of the Strawberry Shortcake movies.

And Rainbow Brite.

OMG, and the Huggabunch movie!!

So I just had to pull up a clip from it:


Listen closely right about the 1:00 mark. No wonder I loved this movie!

Ok, back to the story at hand.

It was our freshman year of college. IT and I weren't roommates yet, she was still involved in WWIII: The Battle of Rubbish.

My suite mate, Crest*, and her boyfriend wanted to go camping and they wanted to take IT and me along.

I'll stop right here and tell you that IT is a city girl of the highest order. I love her for it, but the lady does not like to rough it. 

And while I'm a country girl, camping had never really been my thing. (Except the few times in high school when we all got drunk in the desert and slept in the backs of trucks.)

Wanting to be "joiners," IT and I agreed to the camping trip.

Assignments were given and IT and I were in charge of food and our own sleeping bags (I think). They gave us a few suggestions of what to bring and we took care of it.

They were in charge of all camping gear - tents, utensils for cookings, firewood, etc.

We loaded up the boyfriend's truck and headed up to Mt. Lemmon.

It was the first weekend of December.

We got to the campsite (which had real toilets - we weren't ready for full immersion) and started unloading the truck.

We set up the tent, unloaded the food, and started drinking. Then we asked the boyfriend to start a fire.

He forgot the fire wood.

I am not kidding you - it was FREEZING outside and we had no way to build a fire.

This was not looking good.

So, IT and I took a little walk to try to find something to light on fire. No luck.

So we started drinking heavily.

By 7 pm, it was pitch black and we were buzzed and cold.

So we went to bed.

The next morning we were up with the sun.

IT and I again went for a walk to appreciate nature or some such bullshit and we devised a plan.

We got back to the campsite and told Crest and her boyfriend to go find us some firewood.

While they were gone we packed up the entire camp.

To this day I do not know how we managed to take the tent down and put it back in its bag, but we did.

When they returned, the truck was loaded up and IT and I were sitting on the tailgate.

We said, "We're ready to go."

They really had no option, but to get in the truck and take us home.

I don't think either of us have been camping since.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, that story is hilarious! We're going camping with some friends this weekend - not I'm comitted to making sure we don't forget the fire wood!

    ReplyDelete