Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Way to a Man's Heart

For my entire childhood my mom cooked dinner nearly every night.

And it typically wasn't something out of a box - it was real food. It began raw and she made it edible.

I didn't like everything, but I tried everything. That was the rule.

And what she cooked was what was for dinner. Period.

I can look back now and thank her.

As soon as we got old enough to understand, she also taught us that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. So we girls learned how to cook too.

And don't be fooled, Bunner learned how to cook as well - he can whip up a mean dinner with only frozen vegetables, peanut sauce, chicken, and ramen noodles.

I previously mentioned that I am spending eight days with Tela's four children - thirteen-year-old triplet boys and their ten-year-old sister.

Yesterday, after church, I noticed that there were some bananas just about ready for bread, so I said to the little girl, "What do you say we make banana bread with these bananas?"

Her response nearly made me cry. She said, "We can make bread with those bananas? Don't we need a mix or something?"

Which made me realize that I should thank Match for teaching me these skills so long ago.

###

When I was in college I was an RA and one of my co-RAs had a sign up in her room that said,

It may be true that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but sometimes it is much more satisfying hacking your way through the rib cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment